December 8, 2009

The Life of Christ - 5th Grade Level

I had the privilege to teach the 5th grade class at the congregation in Lewisville Texas for two years now. The teachers for the class were Robert Ramirez and myself. As we were deciding on what topic to teach, we quickly decided to teach the most important topic out there: Jesus Christ.

We divided each class into three parts: Welcome and prayer requests, the lesson, and then application. Robert did the welcome and took prayer requests, I did the lesson, then Robert got back up to make application to the lesson. This helped grab the attention of the 5th graders and kept them involved. At the end of each class, I gave the students a memory verse for next week. We encouraged them to memorize it.

The class has been a success for us. I was asked by a couple people to share my material (Alex being the first one who asked). And so I'm going to make it available to everyone here on Dos Swangos.

As I add the lessons, I will provide links below for your convenience. I will also add Alex's companion lessons which he is posting after each of my lessons.

Lesson 1 - The Prophecies and Parents of Jesus

Lesson 2 - The Genealogy and Birth of Jesus

Lesson 3 - Jesus in the Temple

Lesson 4 - The Baptism and Temptation of Jesus

Lesson 5 - Jesus' Worth, Cost, and Love

Lesson 6 - Jesus Teaches Repentance, Humility, and Thankfulness

Lesson 7 - The Power of Jesus

Lesson 8 - The Servanthood of Jesus

Lesson 9 - Jesus Preaches

Lesson 10 - Jesus' Last Week

Lesson 10b - Jesus' Last Night

Lesson 11 - The Crucifixion of Jesus

Lesson 12 - The Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus

The first time Robert and I taught the class, there were 12 Sundays in that quarter. This second time, there were 13 Sundays in the quarter. Since lesson 10 had the most material, I separated it into two lessons. (Hence the lesson 10b.)

Please know that I made these lessons to fit my style of teaching (which I first discovered as I taught this class). Feel free to change it however you like to fit your style of teaching. For example, I took extra time in describing things that are underlined and wrote things on the board as we talked about them. I frequently found that we did not have enough time in a less session to finish each lesson, so I would continue the lesson the following week. But I made sure we had enough time for application each class.

In the future, I plan to take my notes from this class and convert it into an adult class.

No comments:

Post a Comment